OUR CHILDREN ARE NOT FOR PROFIT
On June 7, the Sarasota County school board will vote on an application from Charter Schools USA to open a new charter school in Wellen Park, in the North Port area, even though the district is planning to build a high school and elementary school less than 1.5 miles away. Charter Schools USA utilizes a predatory business model which extracts millions of dollars of public funds and puts them into the pocket of its founder, Jonathan Hage (who doesn’t even put his own kids into one of his charter schools!).
We believe that there is a place for TRUE non-profit charter schools in Sarasota (like the great Dreamer’s Academy) but there is no place in Sarasota for the FOR PROFIT charter schools like Charter School USA. We have attached a Fact Sheet which provides further detail as to why the school board must reject Charter School USA’s application.
SUPPORT OUR SCHOOLS, Sarasota
You can step up to prevent the FOR PROFIT CHARTER SCHOOLS USA does not end up in Sarasota County. Here’s how:
- Write a letter to the Board of Education. We have included a draft letter that you can download and edit, or download, sign and send via email or snail mail, whichever you prefer. If you chose to edit, we suggest utilizing facts from our Fact Sheet to draft your own letter.
- Attend the rally on June 7 at 5:00 pm before the scheduled school board meeting (the meeting will be held at the board’s administrative offices at 1960 Landings Blvd. Charter School USA’s application will be voted upon at this board meeting, so it is imperative that we all show up and urge the board to reject the application.
- Plan to speak at the Board meeting. The application should be an Agenda item, so you will be permitted to speak at the beginning of the meeting prior to the vote. You can simply state “I urge the board to reject the application from Charter Schools USA” and leave it at that or you can use any of the facts from our Fact Sheet to build your case. Remember you only have two minutes to speak. The fact that you are taking time out of your busy schedule to come and speak to the board speaks volumes!
"How can I support Traditional Public Education and Fight Privatization?"
Privatization of our Public Schools is a varied topic with many dimensions. It is extraordinarily complex, contradicts common sense, and opposes established values. To some, the momentum driving it forward appears unstoppable and the outcome inevitable.
POPS believes the although damage done to students over the past two decades is considerable, the Privatization momentum is reversible, and Public Schools can be set right, but only if people understand the issues and give voice to their concerns. The opportunities to be involved include:
- Keeping up with the issues by subscribing to POPS monthly newsletter
- Asking questions – of POPS and elected members of our School Boards and State Legislature.
- Participating directly in discussions at POPS meetings.
- Sharing current personal experiences (positive & negative) of education events and outcomes in schools and classrooms.
- Giving voice to your support for Traditional Public Schools in communication with our elected representatives.
- Seeking out candidate’s positions on Public Education and voting your values.
Vote Your Values
Attend a POPS Meeting
Lend your voice to discussions held and decisions considered at POPS’ monthly meetings. Meeting notices are published in our monthly newsletter.